This coming Friday, Penny Arcade will host their inaugural PAX East in Boston, MA at the Hynes Convention Center. CosWatch is going to be there, and we have a very busy weekend ahead of us to ensure that we bring you tons of great content!
We have interviews, game previews, convention photos and even some podcasts with game developers and attendees alike. Joey V will be our man on the scene, and he has an absolutely jam packed calender filled with geeky nerdom.
For those of you who are heading up to Boston to partake directly in the fabulous time that PAX is sure to be, we have a few really cool things to tell you about. Some are events you can partake in with various developers, and others are just places where you can meet up with Joey V. In addition to that, make sure that you follow @jvalenti57 and @CosWatch on Twitter so that you can get up to date info from the convention floor.
First up, here are some of the events we are going to be hitting each day of the convention. Feel free to try and meet up with Joe and say hi!
Please note that this is Joe’s tenative schedule and is subject to change. While he is trying to be supremely professional, Joe also feels like one big kid right now and just can’t help but party.
- 3 PM: Wil Wheaton Keynote – No better person to give the inaugural East Coast keynote, than the man who has arguably given the best keynote thus far. We will be there, tweeting and live blogging away!
- 4 PM: Penny Arcade Panel – Gabe and Tycho, talking and taking questions from the crowd. Nothing but awesome can take place.
- 4:30 PM: Preview of Two Worlds II – Sequel to the open world RPG that was an earily Xbox 360 title from Top Ware Interactive. We will be getting a hands on preview of the game and talking with their designers about the process in improving upon the original Two Worlds.
- 6 PM: Hands on with Puzzle Quest 2 – Puzzle Quest for the Nintendo DS blew us away with how great and addictive it was. We have high expectations for the sequel, and we’ll be able to get an early indicator on how it is shaping up.
- 8:30 PM: PAX Concert – We are going for the Protomen, but staying for MC Frontalot and everyone inbetween. It should be an amazing experience, and we are looking forward to see how the Protomen do in a larger setting after rocking A&G Ohio.
- 11:30 AM: Kotaku and Croal: In Search of the Best Games Ever – Like so many other people, I go to Kotaku for my gaming news. I appreciate the dedication and the humor. I can’t wait to hear what they come up with for their Top 10 games of all time.
- 12:30 PM: Hands on with Hudson Interactive – Hudson invited us to the booth to check out some upcoming and recently released games they have for the Nintendo Wii and DS. We’ll let you know what you should be on the look out for afterwards!
- 3:30 PM: Interview with Muzzy Lane – This game developer is making a great looking strategy game right now, Making History II. We will give you the skinny on how it is shaping up. Also check this page for info on how to pre-order and get into the beta!
- 4:30 PM: Wizards of the Coast Product Demo – So wait, we get to come to the booth and take a look at upcoming Magic and D&D products? Yeah you can just go ahead and sign us up!
- 10 AM: Community Managers: More Than Forum Monkeys – Joey V wants nothing more than to be a Community Manager for a major development studio. He will post some information about it, but for the most part the notes he takes are for him!
- 11:30 AM: So You Want to Get into the Game Industry? – As we just discussed, yes I believe we all do! Look for a small preview for this panel when Joey V talks with Top Ware on Friday as they will be making an appearance at this panel as well.
In addition to all of the great panels, and the chances to play games that are currently in development, we have been sent some information on some great promos and events that the developers will be throwing at their booths. If you are going to be at PAX East, be sure to go check them out, and if anyone asks them who sent you, tell them it was CosWatch!
Skate 3 Previews & Tournaments
EA (Booth #211)
Come by, play the game, have a chance to win some prizes and say hi! Producer Chris “Cuz” Parry will be on the floor all three days to talk SKATE 3 and throw down some high-fives. The Community team (Shirley and Josh aka bobbybobbydigi) will also be hanging out.
Play SKATE 3 in teams for the ultimate showdown experience. Bring a couple of your trusted friends or come by yourself and we’ll put you into a team. The first team to win three of five challenges is declared the winner. All members of the winning team will receive a limited edition PAX/SKATE 3 skateboard deck (while supplies last).
Beat the Meat
Mastered the art of epic bails and fails? Take on our Beat the Meat Challenge. Each day, we will be featuring one Hall of Meat event where you will be challenged to get the day’s highest score. You’ll have a chance to win a limited edition PAX/SKATE 3 skateboard deck and if you are the highest score of the day, you will win an Xbox 360 Elite with a SKATE franchise prize pack (Skate, Skate 2 and SKATE3 when it becomes available).
Super Friday Magic Night
Wizards of the Coast (Booth #819)
Super Friday Night Magic (SFNM) is the place to be on the Friday night of PAX East. Magic fans of all types and skill levels are invited to play in the tournament and enjoy the Magic comradely at the convention. At SFNM, Wizards of the Coast will unveil an exclusive spoiler card from Rise of the Eldrazi that’s printed on a massive Magic card. All PAX East attendees will receive a $5 coupon to SFNM in their welcome bags.
Making History II Hands-On
Muzzy Lane (Booth #110)
MHII gives WWII grand strategy gamers the opportunity to lead a nation and remake history. MHII reflects the reality that economics win wars as much as combat, so players can customize the development of specific cities, regions and units to support their objectives. Along the way they will face rival political factions both domestic and international, diplomatic choices that affect their nation’s status and reputation, and a reactive artificial intelligence that alters its strategy based on player actions.
Making History II is coming out May 25, 2010. If you like what you play at PAX, you can pre-order the game, and gain access to the Beta happening in April.
You can pre-order the game at: