Usually we talk about video games on the Podcast. It’s not a new trend by any stretch. Yet when we talk about gaming, it’s usually in the context of what new game has been announced, or whether or not a particular gaming experience is good or not. This time though, we delve into how organizations are run and recent litigation that involves the industry as a whole.
The recent news that Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning developer 38 Studios had to lay off their entire staff was terrible enough. The stories and news didn’t stop there though, and unfortunately the entire situation was far worse than anyone had feared. We discuss just how bad it is, and speculate on how it got to that point to begin with. Not wanting to be left out of the craziness that is gaming news though, we also discuss the judgement in the case between Silicon Knights vs Epic, and Activision paying off former Call of Duty innovators West & Zampella. How did we get to the point where Silicon Knights thought it was a good idea to sue one of the biggest game engine makers in the world? Did they really think they could win? Just how much money has Call of Duty made, and how much money in bonuses were upper management due? These are only some of the questions we ask and then speculate on this week.
Finally, we finish up with movie talk as we continue to be surprised just how interesting the 2012 year is for new films. Katie and Joey talk over how much fun Men in Black 3 was, and also discuss how they will be pretty much living at the movies for the next few months. Mr. Khon jumps in as well, giving us a list of all the upcoming movies and tries to gauge our excitement level for each.
You can of course play the same game, with giving us your movie excitement levels, and your thoughts on gaming industry litigation, down in the comments below. So get to it, we want to hear more from you!
Show Topics By Time
- Tangential Rant – Batman Bowling, bringing your friends to fame & Chris Hardwick give us a job | 00:00:45
- MEM2.5 Thanks – Thanks to everyone who watched, spread the word and donated! | 00:07:13
- Games – Discussion about the abrupt closing of 38 Studios | 00:13:38
- Games – Silicon Knights sues Epic Games, loses, and now owes money they don’t have | 00:37:09
- Games – Former Call of Duty creators West & Zampella get paid off by Activision| 00:52:40
- Movies – Men in Black 3 impressions. Overall, it was a fun movie. | 01:11:52
- Movies – What movies that are coming out this year are we psyched for? | 01:32:06
- $666 Hamburger
- Trailer for Rock of Ages in which Tom Cruise doesn’t age
- List of San Diego Comic Con 2012 Exclusives